Family Integrated Care Bundle
This bundle includes two presentations essential in supporting parents of premature neonates in the NICU. The first presentation includes parents of former extremely low birth weight infants sharing their journey in the NICU. These gracious families share their experiences, feelings, suggestions, and gratitude. The second presentation describes how the NICU healthcare professional not only plays a role in caring for premature babies, but also have a role in supporting mothers. The presentation discusses the psychological processes involved in the transition from woman to attainment of the maternal role, along with practical ways for the NICU team to support, affirm and empower a mother in the NICU. These presentations are essential for NICU healthcare professionals in gaining an understanding on how to help families integrate into the NICU team.
1. Describe two common feelings families of small babies in the NICU experience.
2. Identify three care practices to incorporate into in the care of the small baby to promote family integration.
3. Explain two key psychological processes experienced by pregnant women as they transition to motherhood.
4. Describe two ways in which preterm birth and the NICU environment can hamper attachment through interruption in these processes.
5. Identify two care practices that can promote maternal role attainment.
Total CE: 2.6
NCC Code NNP 3 or 7
NCC Code NIC 1 or 7
NCC Code LRN 2 or 7
Rx = 0
*These presentations were included in the Small Baby Care Specialist® Program
**ALL PROCEEDS FROM THE SALE OF THIS COURSE WILL BE DONATED TO CHARITIES SUPPORTING THE PRETERM BABY AND FAMILY EXPERIENCE IN THE NICU**